top of page

Safety Information

  • Never leave a burning candle unattended, always be sure that the wick ember has stopped glowing before leaving the room.

  • Never burn a candle for longer than 4 hours at a time

  • Burn your candle out of reach of children, pets and drafts.

  • Always leave at least 10cm distance between multiple burning candles. This will help stop the candles melting each other or creating their own drafts which would cause uneven and improper burning.

  • Do not burn candles on or near anything that can catch fire

  • Do not place candles in a draught

  • Trim wick to 5mm before lighting

  • Do not burn your candle all the way to the bottom. It is generally recommended to stop using the candle once there is only 1cm of wax left if it is a container candle. This ensures that the wick remains vertical and that the burn stays under control.

  • Always snuff out the candle, do not be tempted to blow it out. Snuffing out the candle using a specially made snuffer is the safest way to avoid accidentally knocking over the candle and preventing hot wax splatters. A candle snuffer starves the flame of oxygen, ensuring that it goes out gently, without giving the wax a chance to spatter. It is the safest way to douse a candle without worrying about spatter or burning one’s fingers on the wick. (If you do not own a snuffer, a metal spoon will do the job!)

  • Keep the wax pool clear and clear of matches and other debris to avoid flaring. You can find safety instructions on the base of all our candles and if you are ever unsure please do get in touch and we will be happy to help.

  • The candle jar will be hot after burning, so allow the wax to cool completely before handling. Never touch or move a burning candle.

  • Never use a candle as a night light, all candles should be extinguished before you go to sleep.

  • Be very careful if using candles during a power cut, torches and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure. Never use a candle during a power outage to look for things in a closet, or when fuelling equipment – such as a lantern or kerosene heater. Fire thrives on oxygen and using candles in a household where someone uses oxygen is courting disaster. The additional oxygen accelerates combustion and turns almost any spark into a runaway fire. While oxygen tanks are enclosed and can be kept far away from candle flames, it simply is not worth the risk to burn a candle anywhere in the vicinity of oxygen.

  • Never use water to extinguish a candle. The mixture of cold water and hot wax can send the wax splattering everywhere, possibly leading to burns. The cold water can also be dangerous to glass candle holders, as the sudden drop in temperature can cause the glass to crack, potentially spilling hot wax everywhere.

  • Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use.

bottom of page